I may have missed the official start of summer by a few days, but welcome to summer folks! And with it – our annual Classic Hollywood Competitions! The big day for many of you bloggers and independent writers! I’m very pleased to (finally!) announce the start of our annual competitions – starting with the Writing Contest!
Other categories – fear not! Within the next few days I’ll get the start-posts for those contests as well!
Last year we had several classic Hollywood writing contests, which had very fine results. However, this year we’re introducing something entirely new and exciting!
First and foremost, this year we’re not going using our traditional poll to determine the winning article. We’re going to have judges! (Scroll down for judge info). I realized last year that it became more of a war of “vote for your favorite blog” or “vote for your favorite film” rather than what was truly the finer piece of literary work if you will. But! We may not done away with the polls entirely – at the end of the judging period (Aug. 1st), we may have polls so that everyone can determine the “People’s Choice” Awards.
The second major change to these contests is that we’re giving away prizes! Yes, that’s right, real classic items from (primarily) the wonderful, awesome TCM Shop.
Now onto the meat…
About the Writing Contest
Important details first! Deadline for all entries is July 27th. There’s about a month – I apologize that you don’t have more time! Articles can be on anything related to the classic Hollywood years of the talkies through the 1950s. Exceptions can be made, so please let me know. You may enter 1 article per category. The categories are:
- Biography – an article on a classic star.
- Essay – an article on a classic Hollywood subject or topic (ie. fashion in film, the Hayes Code).
- Film Review – reviewing a classic movie.
- Poetry – gettin’ creative, huh?
Entries may be either previous articles written on your blog during this past year of 2012, or specifically written for this contest – your choice!
- Reserve an entry spot by contacting me. Slots Currently Available: 0/30. All slots are currently filled – entry spots are closed.
- Spread the word by plugging this contest on your site (using the poster below), or feature a banner (banners listed below)!
- When you’re ready – Submit your article entry as Microsoft Word attachment by email.
- Be sure to include your contact information & category of entry in the body of the email.
- Entries will receive an acknowlegement by email that it was received.
- Notification of contest results will be publically announced on August 1st at the Film-Classics site.
Your article will be contrasted against the other entries on the following criteria:
- Vivid Language
- Polished Presentation
- Original Ideas
- Knowledge of Subject
Runners-Up (2nd Place):
Receives Honorable Mention.
All 3 winners additionally receive a nifty banner they may place on their blog as well as get their blog listed in our Hall of Fame (yet to be created!)
If you have a blog, feel very free to publish your entry publicly! We would love to link all the articles in a master post at the conclusion of this contest, so please do give us the link!
*Prizes listed above only for folks in the U.S. – sorry! But – we aren’t leaving all you other folks in the dust. Non-US 1st place winners receive a $50 TCM E-Gift Card. 2nd Place Winners receive $25 TCM E-Gift Card!
The judges that judge this contest will have a very specific form they fill out regarding your article entry. The judges remain anonymous, as do the articles they are judging. Your article will receive a total score of 0-50 from each of the 3 judges. This score is then averaged for a final score and contrasted against the other entries. The highest scoring article wins!
If you’re interested in judging this contest, please click here to apply!
Banners & Posters
Please feel free to copy this banner on your own site to spread the news!
A few promotional banners:
As always, any questions, just ask! Very excited to see the results from this competition!